1. Always, always, always follow the instructions on the tag
When in doubt, or if the care tag is missing, opt for hand washing and cold-water.
2. High heat is the enemy
High heat (in the washer or the dryer) can shrink a blanket’s threads at a different rate than the base fabric, causing the blanket’s edges to curl. The heat of a dryer can also melt the tips of the yarn, decreasing its softness.
3. Wash your blankets with cold water and then air-dry
If you’re using a washing machine, set it on the gentlest cycle available.
4. Wash your plushies in launderable mesh bags to help protect them. If they don’t fit in a mesh bag, you can always use a pillowcase
If you don’t have mesh bags and don’t care for pillowcases, just don’t wash your plushies and blankets with scratchy materials.
5. Don’t use fabric softeners on your towels
Fabric softeners will reduce your towels’ ability to absorb moisture.
6. Put down that iron!
I… doubt you were going to iron your towels and blankets; but in any case―don’t! A heated iron can melt the naturally soft fibers of your blankets.
7. Avoid bleach at all costs
Bleach is an abrasive cleanser that can also affect your colors.