⭐ TOP CHOICE The Lectro Fan Sound Machine
🔰 PORTABLE CHOICE The LectroFan Micro
If you are looking for the best box fans for white noise, you’ve come to the right page.
The best fan for white noise, reviewed
Here’s a curated list of the 6 best box fans for white noise based on features, value, and user opinions:
- The LectroFan Classic
- The Marpac Dohm Classic
- The LectroFan Micro
- The Marpac Rohm Portable
- The Dreamegg D1
- The Avantek
Click here to learn more about box fan white noise. You’ll find the guide after our reviews.
1. LectroFan Classic Hi-Fi White Noise Sound Machine
✅ Small, sleek, and compact.
✅ 10 different fan sounds, and 10 white noise variations.
✅ 100% digital, non-repetitive, sound.
✅ Hi-fi speaker and precise volume control.
The are a lot of great fan sound machines out there, but the LectroFan Classic is our number 1 favorite. Here’s why:
The size: It’s 4.4 x 4.4 x 2.2 inches and weighs 1.2 pounds. OK, so the size might be the “worst” thing about this product. And that’s saying something, because even if the LectroFan is, indeed, one of the bigger (not even the biggest) machines on this list, it’s still pretty small. As wide as a pocketbook.
Still, if you’re looking for an ultra-portable fan machine, check out the LectroFan micro, which is not even 3-inches big.
The sounds: You can choose from 10 different fan sounds for sleeping and 10 white noise variations (including white, pink, and brown noise).
- The 10 fan sounds: Large Fan, Industrial Fan, Mellow Fan—LO, Mellow Fan—HI, Exhaust Fan, Attic Fan, Circular Fan, Vent Fan, Box Fan, Oscillating Fan.
- The 10 white noise variations: Brown Noise #5 (Darkest), Brown Noise #4, Brown Noise #3, Brown Noise #2, Brown Noise (Classic), Blend: Brown and Pink, Blend: Brown and Pink, Pink Noise (Classic), Blend: White and Pink, White Noise (Classic).
A total of 20 sounds for your sleeping pleasure.
The noises are entirely digital and generated without internal motors or moving parts. Thus, the listening experience is seamless and non-repetitive.
The hi-fi speaker on top of the device ensures a pretty crisp sound.
The volume can be precisely personalized in 1dB-increments.
The timer: You can set the LectroFan to automatically turn off after 60 minutes.
The power: The LectroFan Noise Sound Machine can be powered both by AC and USB.
The complete comparision table
|⭐ TOP CHOICE||🔰 PORTABLE CHOICE|
|Dohm Classic||D1||LectroFan||Avantek||LectroFan Micro||Rohm Portable|
|5.8 x 5.8 x 3.2"|
|4.1 x 4.1 x 2.5"|
|4.4 x 4.4 x 2.2"|
|3.9 x 3.9 x 2.4"|
|2.8 x 2 x 2.8"|
|3.5 x 1.8 x 3.8"
|Acoustic housing, dual speed||White noise, 7 fan sounds, 7 nature sounds||10 digital fan sounds, 10 white noise variations||6 white noise variations, 6 fan sounds, 8 nature sounds||5 fan sounds, 4 white noise variations, 1 ocean sound-story||White noise, deep white noise, gentle surf|
|Adjustable||Precise vol control||Precise vol control (1dB increments)||Precise vol control (up to 115dB)||Precise vol control (1dB increments)||Precise vol control|
|No timer||30, 60, 90min timer||60min timer||Up to 7h timer||No timer||No timer|
|Price (Amazon)||Price (Amazon)||Price (Amazon)||Price (Amazon)||Price (Amazon)||Price (Amazon)|
|AC||USB and AC||AC and USB||AC and USB||USB||AC and USB|
2. Dohm Classic White Noise Sound Machine
✅ Manufacturer with 50 years of experience.
✅ Compact & unobtrusive.
✅ Natural white noise with 2 speed options.
✅ Volume and tone can be adjusted.
Marpac has been in the Sound Machine business for more than 50 years, so they know what they are doing. Indeed, this model, the Dohm Classic, which Marpac calls “the original sound machine”, was first invented in… 1962! Of course, it’s undergone numerous updates, which have resulted in the gorgeous device you can see in the pic above.
The size: At 5.8 x 5.8 x 3.2 inches and 1.6 pounds, the Dohm is the “biggest” machine in this list. Not the heaviest, though, and still pretty compact and unobtrusive.
The sounds: The Dohm Classic features a natural white noise with two speed options (high or low) that can be adjusted in tone and volume by rotating the cap. The Marpac makes it pretty easy to find the fan noise that is perfect for you.
The timer: Sadly, one of the cons of this product- no auto timer.
The power: Only via AC.
3. LectroFan Micro Wireless Sound Machine
✅ Tiny and ultra-portable.
✅ 5 fan noises, 4 white noise variations, 1 ocean sound-story.
✅ Bluetooth and built-in microphone.
✅ Precise volume control.
The “little brother” of the LectroFan Sound Machine, the LectroFan Micro is still pretty kick-ass in itself.
The size: 2.8 x 2 x 2.8 inches. Yep, you read that right. The LectroFan Micro is not even 3-inches big and weighs 2.4 ounces. I have seen bigger chocolates. Talk about pocket size.
The sounds: Despite its teeny tiny size, this device features 10 unique non-looping noises: 5 fans, 4 white noise variations, and a relaxing ocean sound-story.
Even better? the speaker on top of the device twists, which lets you project the sound wherever you need it.
Something extra: This LectroFan has Bluetooth and a built-in microphone. This means you’ll get to play its original noises and your favorite Youtube playlists. Basically, it can work as a sound machine or as a wireless speaker.
The volume can be precisely personalized to your needs in 1dB-increments. In other words, it’s very small but can get very loud.
The timer: One of the very few cons of this product: no auto-timer.
The power: The Micro has a USB-rechargeable battery (which makes total sense in a device thought for portability) that lasts up to 16 hours while playing the built-in sounds, and 6 hours while streaming audio via Bluetooth.
4. Rohm Portable White Noise Sound Machine
✅ Small and portable (includes lanyard).
✅ Bright white noise, deep white noise, and gentle surf.
✅ Precise volume control.
✅ Can operate all night on a single charge.
The Rohm is Marpac’s portable sleep solution.
The size: 3.5 x 1.8 x 3.8 inches, and weighs 3.84 ounces. For a portable device, the LectroFan Micro is smaller and lighter. That said, it’s still pretty tiny and even includes a lanyard for hanging.
The sounds: You can choose from 3 different options: bright white noise, deep white noise, and gentle surf.
The volume can be precisely controlled.
The timer: Like the LectroFan Micro, this portable device does not feature a timer.
The power: The Rohm can be recharged via USB (comes with a cable), and operate all night long on a single charge.
5. D1 White Noise Sound Machine
✅ Small, sleek, and compact.
✅ 21 noise variations (7 white noises, 7 fan noises, and 7 nature sounds).
✅ Optional warm light.
✅ Audio input and memory function.
✅ 30, 60, and 90-minute timer.
Despite being the coolest looking machine of the bunch, the Dreamegg’s most attractive features are not its looks:
The size: At 4.1 x 4.1 x 2.5 inches and 1.4 pounds, this machine is pretty middle-of-the-road in the size department.
The sounds: This is definitely its most attractive feature: a whoping 21 noise variations. 7 different white noises, 7 different fan noises, and 7 nature sounds.
- The 7 nature sounds: Forest, Ocean, Lullaby, Stream, Crickets, Thunder, Fetal.
That’s right- a fetal sound so you can sleep like a baby (pun intended).
Includes precise volume controls.
- Includes an optional warm light (you can see it in the picture above), for an extra sense of safety during the night.
- You can use the audio input to play your own music or relaxation playlists on the hi-fi speaker.
- Its Memory Function can remember the last setting of sound, volume, light, and timer that you used, so you don’t lose any time setting it up every night.
The timer: By far, the most customizable timer of any device in this list: 30, 60, and 90-minute auto-off options available.
The power: The Dreamegg D1 can be powered both by AC and USB.
6. Avantek White Noise Sound Machine
✅ Small, light, and compact.
✅ 6 white noises, 6 fan sounds, 8 nature sounds.
✅ 30 volume levels (up to 115 dB).
✅ Memory function, and timer (up to 7 hours).
Last, but not least, the Avantek. A white noise fan machine that packs a lot of power in a small box.
The size: At 3.9 x 3.9 x 2.4 inches and 9.8 ounces, is the smallest of the devices not specially designed to be portable.
The sound: Includes 20 non-looping recordings: 6 different white noises, 6 fan sounds, and 8 nature sounds.
- The 8 nature sounds: Ocean waves, Rain, Wind, Stream, Birds, Campfire, Train, Crowd
OK, the last two might not be especially nature-oriented, but there’s no doubt they can be pretty relaxing.
The manufacturer highlights that all sounds are realistic, crisp, and free of scratches.
The volume: Remember my “small but powerful” comment above? This is why: the Avantek Noise Machine offers a range of volume with 30 levels. It can reach up to 115 dB!
The timer: While the Dreamegg D1 features the most customizable timer, the Avantek offers, by far, the longest one with up to 7 hours.
Furthermore, when the set time is over, the sound will fade away all nicely and gradually for a seamless transition.
The memory: This device will remember an restore your previous sound, volume, and timer configuration.
The power: The Avantek can be powered both via AC and USB.
The warranty: Two more points for this device:
- It’s FCC, CS, and RoHS-approved.
- Includes an 18-month product warranty, with a 45-day money-back guarantee from the date of purchase and lifetime customer service.
About White Noise Fan Machines
How do they work
White noise can help you relax by providing a constant and soothing sound for the brain to settle on while trying to fall asleep. White noise can also keep you from focusing on other disruptive sounds (a leaky faucet, the snores from your partner, a conversation in a different room…).
Types of white noise
- White noise is basically a random signal that has the same intensity at different frequencies, thus creating a pretty constant sound.
- Pink noise is a type of white noise in which each octave carries an equal amount of noise energy.
- Brown noise, also known as red noise, is a kind of signal noise produced by Brownian motion (that is, the random motion of colliding particles suspended in a liquid or gas).
- By the way, the “brown” part has nothing to do with the color. It was actually named after Robert Brown, the discoverer of the Brownian Motion.
Uses of white noise
- Falling asleep more easily (quite the mind and drown the noise around you)
- Staying asleep despite environmental noise (wake up better rested)
- Confidentiality (mask your conversations)
- Focus and concentration (for studying, meditating…)